Mövenpick Hotel Qassim Achieves Major Carbon Emission Reduction

Mövenpick Hotel Qassim Achieves Major Carbon Emission Reduction
March 21, 2018 Bradley Cox

The Mövenpick Hotel Qassim is the only 5 star hotel in the Qassim Region, and one of Green Globe’s elite Gold Members. First certified in 2011, Mövenpick Hotel Qassim has recently been recertified for its seventh consecutive year of sustainable operations in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

By prioritizing energy efficiency and waste recycling within its daily operations, Mövenpick Hotel Qassim has made savings of more than 467 Megawatt hours (MWh) of electricity and reduced carbon emissions by 295 tons. This is a CO2 equivalent of taking a fleet of approximate 70 passenger cars off the road for a year (source: www.epa.gov).

Mövenpick Hotel Qassim Director of Engineering, Awan Nazir said,“As part of Mövenpick Hotels and Resorts, our central idea is to promote and support environmentally responsible management to reduce pollution and to safeguard the long-term existence of our businesses.

“Mövenpick Hotel Qassim is committed to environmental, social and employer sustainability. Our hotel thrives on following sustainable environmental initiatives that will have a long-lasting impact on the community. We embrace the key operational aspects of environmental, social and employer sustainability and compliance for the hospitality industry,” added Director Nazir.

Mövenpick Hotel Qassim continuously finds ways to manage its business as thoughtfully as possible, with improvements in operations across all departments. Keeping the environment in mind, LED lights are now used in place of halogen and incandescent lamps. And 90% of electrical appliances used in the hotel carry the Energy Star label, with the remaining 10% soon to be replaced. Since this efficiency program began, the hotel has seen significant reductions its electricity consumption.
The Housekeeping department uses only eco-label or natural products for cleaning. Waste segregation has been introduced for guest rooms, kitchens, the restaurants and in public areas. Further measures which greatly assist recycling have been put in place, and today a long list of materials are being recycled including: paper, cardboard boxes, plastic, metal, batteries, polystyrene, lamps, cooking oil, glass, pallets and wooden crates.

About Green Globe Certification
Green Globe is the worldwide sustainability system based on internationally accepted criteria for sustainable operation and management of travel and tourism businesses. Operating under a worldwide license, Green Globe is based in California, USA and is represented in over 83 countries. Green Globe is an Affiliate Member of the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). For information, please visit www.greenglobe.com

Contacts:
Awan Nazir
Director of Engineering
Mövenpick Hotel Qassim
P.O Box 31001 Qassim 51479
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Phone: +966 16 316 99 99
Fax: +966 16 325 31 34
awan.nazir@movenpick.com
www.movenpick.com