Three Jumeirah properties in London have once again been recognised for their green credentials by international sustainable tourism organisation Green Globe. Grosvenor House Suites by Jumeirah Living in Mayfair, Jumeirah Carlton Tower in Knightsbridge and Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel in Belgravia are amongst just four London hotels to have been awarded this accolade.
Having first achieved Green Globe Certification in 2015, the three luxury properties remain committed to conducting business in a responsible and transparent manner, both socially and environmentally. This commitment is reflected in the hotels’ dedicated Sustainability Management Plans and extensive Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programmes.
Katie Benson, Regional Vice President – Europe and General Manager of Jumeirah Carlton Tower; Ian Richardson, General Manager of Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel; and Renato Moretto, General Manager of Grosvenor House Suites by Jumeirah Living have worked hard with their teams to ensure that sustainable practices and a strong social and community focus are firmly integrated into day-to-day life at all three hotels.
“As luxury hotels in one of the world’s greatest cities, our colleagues, clients, business partners, owners and guests have justifiably high expectations of the way we conduct our business. Creating a culture in which sustainable tourism practices are part of our everyday processes is essential in continuing to build our reputation for delivering world-class service and exceptional guest experiences without compromise”, said Katie Benson.
With targets covering four key areas – Environmental, Socio-economic, Cultural Heritage and Sustainable Management – examples of sustainability initiatives at the hotels include:
- Introducing a technologically advanced food waste digester at Jumeirah Carlton Tower which monitors waste levels and allows leftovers to be turned into grey water and safely drained away, thus reducing the amount of waste collected from the hotel and ensuring the hotel’s general waste is more easily recyclable.
- Fielding a team of London colleagues for the British Heart Foundation London to Brighton charity bike ride for the 10th consecutive year. Over £3,500 was raised in 2016 for this incredibly worthwhile cause, giving a grand total of £35,000 raised over the last 10 years.
- Supporting local initiatives such as SleepSmart. Every year in November and December, Jumeirah Carlton Tower and Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel encourage guests to add a £1 donation to their hotel bill to SleepSmart, whilst a number of colleagues participate in the annual ‘Sleep Out’ event, raising both much-needed funds and awareness of the plight of homeless people in London.
- Donating leftover bathroom amenities to local homeless charities.
- Undertaking an annual River Thames clean-up with Thames 21, the leading waterways charity in the South East of England, including collecting litter and debris and removing invasive plant species from the river banks. (Main phot above)
- Replacing all light bulbs with more energy-efficient LED lighting across Grosvenor House Suites by Jumeirah Living.
- Providing colleagues with durable, reusable water bottles to replace the use of disposable plastic cups and thus reduce waste.
About Jumeirah Group:
Jumeirah Group, the global luxury hotel company and a member of Dubai Holding, operates a world-class portfolio of hotels and resorts including the flagship Burj Al Arab Jumeirah. Jumeirah Hotels & Resorts manages properties in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, UAE, and Kuwait in the Middle East; Baku, Bodrum, Frankfurt, Istanbul, London and Mallorca (Spain) in Europe; the Maldives and Shanghai in Asia. Jumeirah Group also runs the luxury serviced residences brand Jumeirah LivingTM with properties in London and Dubai; the new contemporary lifestyle hotel brand VenuTM; the wellness brand TaliseTM; Jumeirah Restaurant Group DubaiTM; Wild Wadi WaterparkTM; The Emirates Academy of Hospitality ManagementTM; and Jumeirah SiriusTM, its global loyalty programme. Future openings include luxury and lifestyle hotels in China, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Malaysia, Mauritius, Oman, Russia and the UAE. www.jumeirah.com
Director of Communications
Jumeirah Carlton Tower & Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel
+44 (0)207 858 7160