LOS ANGELES, CA – At the 2010 Imvelo Responsible Tourism Awards held on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 in Johannesburg, South Africa, dual-certified Heritage and Green Globe members swept the awards winning all but one category.
Mr. Greg McManus, Managing Director of Heritage Environmental Management Company said, “It is an extraordinary achievement that so many of our dual certified properties have won these prestigious awards.
“It is a testament to the hard work that the green teams at these hotels and resorts put in to meet their sustainability targets. It is also verification that our Heritage/Green Globe certification is a practical and effective sustainable management program that brings great rewards.”
The Imvelo Awards are organized by the Federated Hospitality Association of South Africa (FEDHASA) in association with South Africa’s National Department of Tourism.
The winners in their respective categories:
• Best social involvement program (large business): Winner, Sun International Zambia
• Best practice – economic impact (large business): Winner, Sun International Zambia
• Best singe resource management program – water: Winner, Wild Coast Sun Resort
• Best single resource management program – waste: Winner, Carnival City Casino & Entertainment World
• Best single resource management programme – energy (large business):Winner, Drakensberg Sun Lifestyle Resort
• Best overall environmental management system: Winner – Sun International Zambia. Highly commended, Drakensberg Sun Lifestyle Resort
• Most empowered tourism business: Winner, Table Bay Hotel
• Overall winner, Sun International Zambia
• Chairman’s award: Mr Graham Wood, Managing Director, Southern Sun Hotels
Heritage and Green Globe have partnered in South Africa to deliver the world’s most comprehensive and only dual certification program for sustainable operation and management of travel and tourism enterprises. The success of its members reflects both companies’ ability to take internationally-accepted principles and standards for sustainability and deliver them locally.
ABOUT GREEN GLOBE CERTIFICATION
Green Globe Certification is the worldwide sustainability system based on internationally-accepted criteria for sustainable operation and management of travel and tourism businesses. Operating under a worldwide license, Green Globe Certification is based in California, USA, and is represented in over 83 countries. Green Globe is the only certification brand to be an affiliate member of the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), is partly owned by the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), and a member of the Caribbean Alliance for Sustainable Tourism (CAST) governing council. For information visit www.greenglobe.com .
ABOUT THE HERITAGE ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT COMPANY AND THE IMVELO RESPONSIBLE TOURISM AWARDS
The Heritage Environmental Management Company was formed in 2002 as southern Africa’s first environmental performance rating initiative. It has since become the largest and most successful environmental management system and certification program of its kind in Africa. In May 2009, Heritage was appointed the Green Globe preferred partner for sub-Saharan Africa and the Indian Ocean Islands.
The Heritage Program is currently being operated by over 150 tourism-based businesses across southern Africa. The Program is recogniZed by the UNWTO and has partnered with FEDHASA in the Imvelo Awards held annually to recognize responsible tourism practice.