The Mövenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse lies on the sparkling beachfront of one of Tunisia’s liveliest cities. The country’s third largest city, Sousse, is famous for its hotels, restaurants and other recreational opportunities. It is also the capital of the Sahel region, a position it has held since the Roman Era when it was called Hadrumetum, an important trading post linking the agricultural riches of the region to the markets of the Roman Empire.
Green Globe commends Mövenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse on its recertification and has recognised the hotel’s sustainability achievements since 2012. Despite a new set of criteria being rolled out, the hotel has managed to meet them, which is a sign of the success it has had in implementing and developing its sustainability action plan across all fields of its daily activities.
Mövenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse’s Resident Manager, Hassen Chaouache declared, “We have been implementing actions as per the policy devised in accordance with Green Globe’s Standard for a few years now, and it is very pleasing to see that sustainability-conscious behaviour is brought out in all stakeholders, from our employees to our guests, and from our owners to our suppliers.”
Mövenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse has devised and is set to achieve a number of goals in various fields, including energy consumption, carbon footprint offsetting and social sustainability.
The hotel’s sustainability and environmental policy aims to establish, implement and maintain the necessary procedures and programs which assist in operating the hotel and relate to guest and supplier activities, while respecting the environmental balance and making sustainability a reality for the benefit of future generations.
Among the achievements this year, the hotel has reduced energy consumption by 3.05%, as well as a 9.09% reduction in energy expenditure despite rising utility costs. The aim for 2017 is to further reduce energy consumption by 5% and this includes electricity and gas consumption as well as carbon emissions.
Mövenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse also reduced total carbon emissions by 4% compared to 2015.
Reduced water consumption is also among the goals heading into 2017, with a 5% reduction targeted. Waste disposal is a field in which the hotel also aims at improving performance.
Focusing on energy-saving measures, the hotel has fitted LED lighting into 35% of the total lighting system in 2016, with the aim of having 50% of lighting LED-based by 2017 and continuing on this path.
Outside the property, the hotel also strives to reduce their indirect footprint by sourcing local suppliers in order to reduce transport-related pollution. Every little bit helps.
Thinking green also means giving guests the opportunity to stay and “meet-green” while in the hotel. Mövenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse offers its guests a Green Meetings package which allows them to choose more sustainable menu options, or for instance have water served in jugs rather than in glass bottles, thus contributing to a reduction of their meeting’s environmental impact. Again every little bit helps.
From a social perspective, the hotel has been a proud sponsor and supporter of the Sousse Summer Festival, a yearly, season-long session of concerts, recitals, theatre performances and other cultural events in destination. In compliance with Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts’ SHINE programme, the hotel also supports local charities and associations, such as the local SOS Kinderdorf International Village in Akouda, and the Sousse School for Visually Impaired Children, the pupils of which visited the hotel in November 2015.
Mr. Chaouache concluded by saying, “There are no small or big gestures to reduce our impact and preserve a liveable, breathable environment for future generations. Every little gesture contributes to this effort, and this has become our motto: every little bit helps.”
Our commitment will ensure:
- Continuous improvement of our practices and programs to prevent pollution and manage waste in a rational manner;
- Compliance of all our activities with the relevant environmental legislations and regulations, as well as with the Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts environment policy as specified by the Green Globe standard;
- Periodical review of the environmental aspects in order to control their compliance with the relevant regulations;
- Monitoring and recording of our initiatives, thus ensuring continuous performance improvement;
- Compliance with the approved sustainable purchasing policy which aims to buy goods and services leading to minimal environmental impact;
- Providing all our employees with the necessary environmental training and resources required to reduce energy and utility consumption (electricity, fuel, gas, water, etc.);
- Focus on the reduction, separation and recycling of waste;
- Employment preference to employees living closer to the property;
- Suppliers are encouraged to implement the Environmental Management System;
- Priority of purchase will be given to goods and services of local origin;
- Commitment to protect children and not to have recourse to child labour, whether directly or through our suppliers.
- Commitment to fight corruption under all aspects.
- Our policy prohibits use of invasive alien species in gardens, landscapes and other areas of operation.
- Our policy will be documented, implemented and made available to guests, employees, owners and suppliers.
Think and Act Green for a Better Environment
Making smart and simple, positive actions in everyday life can have a tremendous impact on the environment – even during your holidays:
- Keep the terrace or balcony door closed when air conditioning or heating is in use;
- Leave lights, air conditioning or heating on only when needed;
- Do not let water in the bathroom run unnecessarily;
- Please follow the environmental flyers placed in your bathroom and bedroom for towels and linen change;
- Unplug your electronic appliances when not in use;
- Switch off the main power before leaving your home for holidays;
- Support the donation effort of the hotel for accredited associations.
The Mövenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse Team thanks all guests for their participation in this global effort.
About Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts
Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts, an international upscale hotel management company with over 16,000 staff members, is represented in 24 countries with 83 hotels, resorts and Nile cruisers currently in operation. Around 20 properties are planned or under construction, including those in Chiang Mai (Thailand), Bali (Indonesia) and Marrakech (Morocco).
Focusing on expanding within its core markets of Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia, Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts specialises in business and conference hotels, as well as holiday resorts, all reflecting a sense of place and respect for their local communities. Of Swiss heritage and with headquarters in central Switzerland (Baar), Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts is passionate about delivering premium service and culinary enjoyment – all with a personal touch. Committed to supporting sustainable environments, Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts has become the most Green Globe-certified hotel company in the world.
The hotel company is owned by Mövenpick Holding (66.7%) and the Kingdom Group (33.3%). For more information, please visit www.movenpick.com.
About Green Globe Certification
Green Globe is the worldwide sustainability system based on internationally accepted criteria for sustainable operation and management of travel and tourism businesses. Operating under a worldwide license, Green Globe is based in California, USA and is represented in over 83 countries. Green Globe is an Affiliate Member of the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). For information, please visit www.greenglobe.com
Director of Communications
Green Globe Certification
5959 W. Century Blvd., Suite 610
Los Angeles, California 90045
Director of Sales and Marketing
Mövenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse
Boulevard du 14 Janvier
P.O.Box 114 4039 Sousse, Tunisia
phone +216 73202000
mobile +216 26877998
fax +216 73202111