Green Globe Certification Standard
The Green Globe Standard is a structured assessment of the sustainability performance of travel and tourism businesses and their supply chain partners. Businesses can monitor improvements and document achievements leading to certification of their enterprises’ sustainable operation and management.
The Green Globe Standards is a collection of 337 compliance indicators applied to 41 individual sustainability criteria. The applicable indicators vary by type of certification, geographical area as well as local factors. The Green Globe Standard is reviewed and updated twice per calendar year.
Green Globe Certification is active in harmonizing with other established sustainability certification programs around the world. The process of harmonization contributes to maintaining core criteria and at the same time addresses regional issues through the adoption of locally developed standards.
The Green Globe Standard is based on the following international standards and agreements:
- Global Sustainable Tourism Criteria
- Global Partnership for Sustainable Tourism Criteria (STC Partnership)
- Baseline Criteria of the Sustainable Tourism Certification Network of the Americas
- Agenda 21 and principles for Sustainable Development endorsed by 182 Governments at the United Nations Rio de Janeiro Earth Summit in 1992
- ISO 9001 / 14001 / 19011 (International Standard Organization)
To guarantee compliance to the highest international standards, a third-party independent auditor is appointed to work with clients on-site. The international standard ISO 19011 provides guidance on the management of audit programs, the conduct of internal and external management systems as well as the competence and evaluation of auditors. Green Globe Certification has drawn on ISO 19011:2002 in the development of its audit program.
The standard criteria cover the following areas:
The standard indicators support the above criteria as follows:
Green Globe Certification provides certification standards for the following Industry categories:
- Business (Whole Sale / Retail)
- Congress Center, Meeting Venues
- Cruise Ships (River & Ocean)
- Golf Course
- Hotel & Resort
- Meeting & Events
- Spa, Health Center
- Transportation (Mass Transportation, Bus Company, Limousine Service, Car Rental)
- Travel Industry (Tour Operators, Destination Management Company, Meeting & Incentive Industry)